Eric Ramey, Bassist in the Danny Gokey Band
We are pleased to feature Eric Ramey in our returning “Get to Know the Band” post! Eric plays bass guitar in Danny Gokey’s band. He graciously agreed to answer my questions– which are now up to TWELVE questions! (Each interview gets longer…..Beware next band member! ) Here are Eric’s responses:
1. What instruments do you play? Do you sing, too?
My main instrument is the Pan Flute.. Lol just kidding. It’s actually bass, but I play a little guitar and piano as well.
2. What was your inspiration to make music your career?
I wouldn’t be happy doing anything else. I have a Degree in Cisco Network Engineering that I most likely will never ever use. Because sitting behind a desk doesn’t work for a man such as myself.
3. Where were you raised? Where do you call home?
I was born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. As of April 1st, I call Nashville, Tennessee my home.
4. What is your favorite genre of music to play? To listen to?
5. Name the musician or singer that you were the MOST excited to play with/for? (no pleasing the boss by saying Danny….)
I was pretty excited when I got a call from Tommy Sims to come do a show. He is a musician/ producer I have looked up to for years. If you haven’t heard his record, “Peace and Love”, you are missing out!
6. What is the BEST gig you’ve ever had? The funniest? The one you’d NEVER want to do again?
The Best: I have with the band called “The 911 Reporters” and for me almost every time we hit the stage it’s MAGIC! Funniest: Actually on a recent Danny Gokey gig I was walking down the stairs during sound check and BOOM!!! I bit the dust it was pretty hilarious!
7. What fuels your creativity?
8. When/how did you know you had “made it” as a musician and you were sticking with it as your career?
I wouldn’t say that I’ve made it yet, lol … But no other career could or ever will make me feel as fulfilled as music does.
9. What would your band mates say will keep you from being thrown off the bus?
I’m the translator/ mediator on the bus. I’m the level headed guy on there. With out me there it would be just like the Tower of Babel on there!!! —-Editor’s note: I’d love to see the antics of this crew on a crowded tour bus…. 🙂
10. What’s your hidden talent that the world doesn’t know about?
I use to want to be a chef!
11. Do you care to share anything personal about yourself? Family? Favorite type of food? The one thing that drives you NUTS?
One thing a lot of people don’t know about me… Hmmm… I had brain surgery a while back … Yep… Brain Surgery. It actually stopped my left hand from working , I couldn’t even hold a cup to drink juice for a while. I used to sit in my room and cry and force myself to practice bass for hours as my physical therapy until my hands motor function for better. To this day I still don’t have all the feeling in my left hand, so it’s amazing God has allowed me to do what I do for a living!
12. What is your favorite song of HIFOM to play in concert? Why?
“More Than You Think I Am”. Because of the lyrical content. And the song is basically a key bass solo, lol!
Follow Eric on Instagram: @VonRayProject, or contact him at his website HERE.
to read about other bandmembers:
Maestro Lightford, Keyboards and band leader
Josh Lutz, guitarist