It’s true, I’ve attended a few Danny Gokey concerts. But this one goes down as one of my special ones! Danny Gokey and his band returned to Wisconsin to perform at St Mark’s Lutheran Church in De Pere, Wisconsin. What a triple treat it was!
FIRST Treat: Attending the Q & A with Danny before the show and watching this cool acoustic performance of “Pretty Beautiful”. Danny sounds great and Joshua Lutz does a beautiful acoustic accompaniment.
Opening for Danny was Mike Westendorf; a talented guy who mixes being a musician with being a meteorologist working with students at the University of Milwaukee. To see Mike’s performance on Green Bay’s Channel 5 click THIS link.
Pictured L to R: Eric Ramey, Joshua Lutz, Danny Gokey, Adam Westendorf, Mike Westendorf, Maestro Lightford and Bernard Bell
SECOND treat: And who joined him on stage to sing? Rhonda Gokey! Danny’s talented mom. They sang a duet that I have a short clip of below. (Mike and Rhonda are on the same praise and worship team at their church.) Danny was watching from the rear of the church. (I could tell by the smile that came onto Rhonda’s face when she looked out into the crowd.)
Photo courtesy of North Branch Photography!
THIRD Treat: During the intermission and after the show, the venue played Danny’s Christmas album on a loop! You are going to LOVE this album. If you aren’t going to one of Danny’s upcoming shows, you can find “Christmas Is Here” available here or here.
Ok, there MAY have been a few more treats…. it was a high energy show and the crowd loved Danny, the DG Band, Mike and his performance. Our thanks to High Gear Promotions for organizing such a great event!
And I did have a little time to get some questions answered What did I find out?
- Danny did co-write both original songs on “Christmas is Here”
- “Lift Up Your Eyes” will be available for radio stations to download and start playing on October 5th.
- Danny didn’t know the official radio impact date for his new single, but he guessed it would be late November.
- The Christmas tour will be an acoustic show. We won’t be seeing Danny’s full band. (We will miss them on tour, but Danny’s voice is great when the music is stripped down, too.)
- Danny is very supportive of www.DannyGokeyNews.com.
- When he gets negative comments or people “correcting him” on his Facebook posts he admits he does get annoyed…. he asked us to pray for him. 😉
- He felt that “American Idol” should have ended a year or two ago as the ratings started to sink– and then it could have regrouped and come back!